When I was a girl, so small and wee,
My family would visit the bakery.
My father would lean down to my height,
And ask me which sweet treat I'd like.
Now Dad, he liked the chocolate eclair,
And this is a fondness I still do share.
But yet, another treat won out,
My mother and I, as one, would shout:
Apple Slice! Apple Slice!
Perhaps two squares would be quite nice!
The apple so sweet, the sugary pastry
That crumbles so badly, but's oh so tasty!
Today I gave it a red hot go,
And baked and apple slice - although
I didn't have any apples about,
So I used pears. Now there's no doubt
That my results - though not precise
In replicating that Apple Slice,
Were still delicious, and I dare say
They'll appear in my kitchen again someday.
xx Leah
You make me laugh, clever thing you!
ReplyDeleteAnd I applaud your resourceful and flexible nature and approach to cooking. Maggie