This week of baking provided me with some interesting confirmations:
- There's a reason my Mum always always always uses lard pastry. It's so easy to handle!!! You don't need to keep it cold, you can knead it over and over without it losing texture, you can fling it around without it falling to pieces...Frankly, if butter pastry were a woman, she would be super high-maintenance.
- Lard Pastry tastes different. Awesome different.
- I like pastry better without sugar in it, even if the filling is sweet.
- Pitting cherries is messy and time consuming (even with a cherry pitter) but sooooo worth it.
- I love love love my french rolling pin with no handles. This is not a new discovery, just a re-confirmation.
Ok, so onto the photos - oh, I haven't yet mentioned that today I baked a cherry tart with pastry cream filling (very similar to a thick vanilla custard). Surprisingly, nothing really went wrong, so there's not much more to write about! I tweaked the filling with more egg yolks to make it more custard-y, and my taste buds later threw a party in my honour.
Well this week concludes my pastry experimentation for a little while. See you next Wednesday for another baking adventure!
xx Leah
Again another delicious post- writing,recipe and photos. But LARD? I am having a coronary thinking about it...but I am so with you on non sweet pastry.
ReplyDelete