Friday, 6 April 2012

Fri, 6th April 2012

It's Good Friday, and today I made Hot Cross Buns (aka Rock Cakes)

Yup that's right, no prolonged build up this week, I'm cutting straight to the chase.  The flavour of my buns was GREAT - mixed spice with a little extra cinnamon, and I opted for dates and apricots rather than the traditional sultanas.  De-lic-ious. 

It's just that they were also, well...dense.



I suspected at first that the dough was a little dry, but after bit of kneading, it felt fine.  I believe this to have been a major culprit in the density-factor: Overkneading.  A classic trap for young players. They didn't rise all that much either, and as far as I know that's not a great sign of things to come.

So here is how they turned out.  I should reiterate, they were VERY tasty, so overall I'm pretty happy.  They just need a reheat and a good strong mandible to enjoy them fully!
 

My lovely friend Amy accompanied me on baking day today.  Here she is considering thoughtfully whether or not she likes the tops or bottoms of her rock cakes better...


Here's a shout out to Alexis for the recipe, John for the baking tips, Amy for the comradery and Linda who told me she will be simulbaking with me from Malaysia.  This has made me smile all day.

Happy Good Friday everyone!

xx Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment