Wednesday, 18 April 2012

Wed, 18th April, 2012

Last Sunday I went to Bendigo to see the Grace Kelly exhibition.  While it was very enjoyable, I must confess that the highlight of my day actually turned out to be...a cookie.  And not just any cookie, let me tell you.  It was a Kahlua Cream-filled Melting Moment.  Out. Standing.

Inspired for this week's baking day, I put out the call to all my biscuity-friends to volunteer for a  kahlua-cream trial.  I was really happy with the turnout.  At least 20 biscuits showed up!  Some of them were a little burnt on the bottom, but beggars can't be choosy I guess.

Here they are arriving the door in the early afternoon.  A good looking bunch overall, don't you think?


So we got to work.  I adapted a Womens Weekly recipe for Monte Creams, substituting the delicious coffee-flavoured liqueur for the milk and vanilla in the filling.  Not only flavour, but consistency and texture were very important variables in this trial.


Never having conducted a trial before, I clearly did not plan well and only had time for one go at the filling.  The biscuits and I all agreed that it was a great first attempt though!  Just enough kahlua, and a nice smooth texture.  It lost a few points on consistency - I would have liked it a little firmer, but didn't want to risk adding more icing sugar and overbalancing the sweetness-factor. (Oh, and did I mention I ran out of time?)

Anyway, a fun afternoon was had by all, and everyone crowded in for a group photo before heading home.  It was a privilege to meet such a great bunch of biscuits.



Till next Wednesday,

xx Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment