Wednesday, 21 March 2012

Wed, 21st March, 2012

I have been sitting on a little recipe for over a year that I've been meaning to try - Swedish sweet yeast buns called semla, and apparently they're traditionally made during lent.  Well, lucky me, isn't it lent right now!

So here's the lowdown.  First I baked the yeast buns...

 
 Then, after slicing off some hats, I made little hollows in each bun.  


Cute right?  This is where semla really start to come into their own.  Into each hollow goes a yummy almond-paste-mixture, followed by a *dollop* of whipped cream, and finally I pop their little hats back on!


This little guy is just begging to be devoured.  I fulfilled his wish within seconds of taking this photo...


Sadly, the day did not go all well.  I had lined up a beautiful shot of three picturesque lental buns when...

 

Man down!  We have a man down!  He couldn't be salvaged.  Neither could the photo, as I had run out of cream.  

But do you know what I discovered today?  Yeast is awesome.  Not only does it do amazing things to dough, but it makes your entire house smell like small cottage bakery.  That's a definitive win in my books.  See you next Wednesday!

1 comment:

  1. I would still eat the fallen bun... looks ssoooo goood!

    ReplyDelete