Wednesday, 25 January 2012

Wed, 25th January, 2012

Yesterday I juggled baking day with another event I've been wanting to do for a little while - TACO PICNIC!  I love tacos, I love parks, I love extended twighlights (thanks, daylight-saving) and I love people.  So baking day ended up played second fiddle to taco preparations.

In a last minute change of plan, I decided to shelve macaroons until next week (too fiddley) and make lamingtons instead.  Very Australia Day-esque.  And I must admit that lamingtons have climbed a good few rungs on my favourites ladder.  So easy (especially when you use a packet mix for the sponge) and TONS OF FUN!!  Who wouldn't like dipping chunks of cake into a bowl of liquid chocolate and then tossing it around in sprinkles of coconut-delight?!   

Just in case you're not convinced, take a closer look...


 Mmmmmmmm........


A quick note about packet mix:  For quite a while, I wanted to make everything from scratch.  I still really enjoy the challenge.  But one factor gets in my way sometimes: room temperature butter.  I never remember to leave butter out to soften, and often microwave it for a little too long so it starts melting and doesn't cream properly.  Grrrr.

And packet mixes are by no means fool-proof!  I managed to overbake these sponge cakes until they were well and truly DENSE...and after I had let one cool down I flipped it to discover a massive black hole of gooeyness underneath.  Double Grrr.


But I'm happy with the result.  And I baked and photographed, so I'm going to go make myself a cup of tea to celebrate four weeks in a row.  Everybody join with me in a group shout of "Huzzah!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment