Week two of Wednesday baking day advenures. I decided to stick with Tartine, this time trying Lemon Bars on Brown Butter Shortbread. I LOVE thick lemon slice. Soooo much.
What I'm realising though, is that Tartine is no 3-times-tested Women's Weekly cookbook. Just like last week's Clafoutis, reality does not necessarily mirror recipe. Here's what I faced this morning:
1: Base mixture does not resemble soft dough as described - more like a loose mix of fine gravel that won't stick together. No worries, add a little more butter.
2. Added too much butter.
3. Pan too small for large amount of dough. No worries, use excess in a small single tart case.
4. Completely burn the batter in the single tart case.
5. Realise that the main baking tray is too shallow to hold any of the filling. No worries, chop off edges to fit into deep pyrex dish (the edges were kind of burnt anyway...)
6. Pour filling over the base, and watch it ooze through a gap in the baking paper to form a thin layer UNDER the shortbread. Winner.
And the final result? Well...
Not exactly what I had hoped. Plus the big crack down the middle is from where I thought I could transfer it to the cooling rack without supporting it from underneath. Genius.
But from here on in things only got better. Once I cut the edges off - Glory!! Oozy Lemony goodness!!
Add some icing sugar and voila, amazing! And they taste REALLY GOOD! This recipe is a keeper.
(Heehee! See the layer of lemon under the base?)
No comments:
Post a Comment