Tuesday, 7 February 2012

Wed, 8th February, 2012

Today's Baking Day features one of the simplest recipes I tried thus far: Shortbread! 

Now I've never actually made these delectable, sweet, buttery bikkies before - Mum's shortbread are so good, and produced in such enormous quantities at Christmas, that I've never felt the urge to try baking them myself.  But in recent weeks I've started making coffee at home...and the thought of dunking one of these babies into an afternoon latte...well resistance was, as they say, futile.

This recipe comes once again from Tartine, and is baked in a big dish and then sliced up into bars, rather than pressed out as shaped cookies (yes yes, "cookies" is a very American word, but sometimes I think it sounds much more homely than "biscuits."  Bikkies is a nice Australian halfway point.  You may call them what you wish). 

Anyway, enough natter, show us how they turned out!


I will confess now, I've already eaten an entire row from the pan.  These guys were lucky to make it out alive for the photo shoot.


If I were to allocate points like last week, it would be 11 out of 12 for texture (they crumble right at the perfect moment as they enter your mouth) and 11 out of 12 for tastiness.  Dunkability scores 9 out of 12 - leave it one second too long though and the whole bikkie elegantly crumbles into the coffee like sand dunes melting in the rain.


Lastly, in an effort to avoid my regular night-before-recipe-choice-panic, I'm going to try announcing next week's recipe at the end of each post.  However for next Wednesday I am torn between chocolate eclairs and vanilla cupcakes (mainly focusing on decent buttercream icing, I avoid icing-pressure if possible!)  Please cast your vote!

1 comment: